Is alcohol the thief of your success?
I get it, its a night out, maybe its a special event and you want to drink, let loose and have a bit of fun. But there's a few problems if your goal is weight loss.
1. Alcohol is empty calories that are used as a primary fuel source: AKA, it won't leave you full and satisfied, nor will it provide your body with the nutrients it needs to function optimally. The calories from alcohol must be burnt off first by the body before it touches carbohydrates or fats as an energy source. So while alcohol is in your system, you aren't using body fat for fuel.
2. Alcohol is the second highest calorie 'macronutrient': It's not a macronutrient in the sense that carbs, fats and protein are, but. It does hold its own little spot, costing 7calories per gram of alcohol. Almost double carbs & protein.
3. Alcohol affects testosterone and sleep: When we are intoxicated, we don't go in and out of our natural sleep stages, so regardless of how much sleep we get we aren't properly resting and detoxifying our bodies. This inhibits testosterone production and favours estrogen. Goodbye lean muscle tissue and hello excess body fat.
4. Alcohol mixers are super high in calories: Extremely high! They are basically soft drinks with added calories from alcohol. Goodbye that deficit that you worked so hard to create with your diet throughout the week, hello maintenance or heaven forbid, surplus, thanks to those few cans you had.
5. Alcohol inhibits your best judgement: How many times have you been drinking and done something stupid? Well, this is no different. You are more likely to eat foods that you crave when you are drunk than if you are sober.
So does that mean that I can't drink at all? No...but it does mean you need to be smart about it.
1. Minimise drinking to maximum 1-2 nights a week.
2. Factor in your alcohol calories to your daily calories, and minimise how many you are having. If you have to, opt to be the designated driver if you struggle to say no to your friends.
3. Avoid pre-mixed drinks, these are loaded with extra empty calories. Opt for a vodka, lime, soda, or diet soft drinks instead. Don’t let your work be undone by 1 night.